Wednesday, June 12, 2013

From my Bali sketchbook

 I am home and safely at that but it was a long day when we left and when I arrived and since then it has bucketted down with rain and I have been unpacking, washing, tidying and generally getting very tired.
I go to hospital on the afternoon of the 17th for the knee replacement op and am supposed to be first on the list in the morning.
since I came home my knee has really been giving me hell, and yet when I was in Bali I walked a huge amount, over rough pavements and it hardly hurt at all, but then I was on holidays!!
I have hardly had time to tidy up my sketchbook, as well as the photos, but thought I should at least put these pages up.
we stayed in a lovely place in Ubud called Ketut's place, and most mornings and evenings I sat out on my little undercover patio and sketched what was around me.
On my table was a little wooden ashtray with pigs heads carved around it and on top a pot with a different little arrangement of leaves and flowers every day. Of course I had to sketch that.
The frogs were quickly sketched from a watercolour painting done where we had our batik class, not at all good, but I did later encounter a long thin brown one one night in the torch light after rain.
I love frogs.
Bali was magical, I may never go back, but the tour arranged by Cynthia was really very good (any one want to know email me and I will put you in contact with her). She knows Bali and where to go for textiles and silver smiths, batik and cooking classes as well as a lovely orchid garden and the museum/art gallery in Ubud.
Where we stayed was the best, close enough to the hustle and bustle for even me to walk to but far enough away to feel like part of that mini village and Ketut and his wife and children were tops, really lovely people.
Oh and I bought on the last day in Ubud a wonderful book called Bali Sketchbook, far better sketches than I can do and lots of wonderful explanations and we saw so much of what is in there.
Enough for tonight, I need to rest this knee, more later.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Stitching Lady said...

You are a good "sketcher" as I can see. It is a gift to be able to do this.

Jo Murray said...

Good luck with your op, Penny. Your frogs remind me of John Olsen.

Lins Artyblobs said...

I love frogs too. Good luck with the op.

Julie said...

That sketchbook sounds really great!!!!!