Thursday, March 10, 2011

Melbourne sketches


I didnt have a lot of time to sketch, and when I did they were a bit quick, the first one of the shells and banksia cone were the only ones I really had time to play with, I had bought a water pen and a small stack of koh i noor paints while I was away as I forgot to take any with me. I had picked up these shells on the beach and the cone by the track up to the road on our daily walk.
We did a lot of train travelling and I caught this quick glance of a very fat man walking a very small dog from the carriage window.
One of the nice things about Melbourne is the public transport system which is very easy and cheap, we tended to get a pass every day and that covered trains trams and buses.
We needed to get a bus to the railway station and one day up to the shopping center and one day into Melbourne to walk the botanic gardens which is my very poor sketch at the bottom, I had forgotten my small travelling sketchbook that day also bought a pad for $1 and this was it, I did have a pen and used the paints later. The paints have a very limited colour selection and they are very strong but they are light and fun to use.
Met up with the boys from Yorkshire we stayed with 2 years ago, Stephen is here to judge but as we are not going to the show we had a wonderful morning tea with them in one of those incredible tea houses that you can only get somewhere like Melbourne in Australia. They had found it while exploring and took great delight in taking us there!
We had a lovely time catching up with the family, doing our usual mad explorations and walked our feet off, today I am recovering and washing! (What else).
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

These sketches are charming Penny and I LOVE the dog walker!

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Despite what people say, transport is okay in Melbourne. Only $5.50 return for us to Footscray and back. Beaumaris is the place for collecting shells and even ancient kind of things (the word eludes me). Oh, it's fossils!
w.

Unknown said...

Brilliant Penny! The fat bloke is really good but the shells are amazing!

Hugz

Wanda..... said...

Thought you might like to know, my granddaughter Amanda(22)was admiring the small pin doll, that you made made with the Japanese cloth and African beads.