Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunflowers and etchings




I am still playing with small samples, my leaves have no definition, perhaps I should start painting leaves to get my colours right.
I quite liked this cheerful little rendition but boy am I ever going to get it right?
The etchings are the ones we saw at the Art Gallery from an exhibition entitled A beautiful Line Italian prints from Mantega to Piranesi.
The first is a detail of 'The portico with a lantern' by Canaletto (1697 - 1768).
The second is a detail of 'Circe with companions of Ulysses changed into animals" by Castiglione (1609 - 1651).
I loved the fine lines and could have spent more time at this exhibition.
A drizzly and damp day again today, I think I am recovering from yesterdays activity. I did have an early physio appointment and a neighbour from down the road came to quizz John about standing for Council, nominations have to be in tomorrow.
With Spring still thinking it is winter this Haiku by Basho gives me some hope.
On this well-worn stone
Garlanded with
pinks of Spring...
O to drink and doze!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Penny,

Your leaves let the flower star!

I'm really enjoying your sketching - giving me the courage to try!

hugz

Jen Crossley said...

Hey Penny,
Love your sunflowers
Jen Crossley

Wanda..... said...

Sometimes, Sunflower leaves look exactly that way, Penny.