Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Japanese bantams


The big old cage I have these in is very shady and not easy to see into, and they move around a lot. I looked them up and they are a short legged, very upright little bird, to be seen in the Emporers gardens about 350 years ago and were used as trade gifts, so the first ones came to the UK in the 1870's ( I think).
They have one or two very long tail feathers, he seems to have lost one, and some funny upright ones all around the tail. He is of no recognised colour, although the hens are, I suppose you get all sorts, the ones I really like are the white ones with black tails. He has had a pure white daughter and a blue one and he has some dirty markings on his body. A soft crow and they cluck to each other a lot.
I went to the physio today and have another appointment for Friday, I thought we went next Wednesday but it is Tuesday.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, these sketches are so sweet. Bantams seem so prone to getting clucky that we have never kept them - they do have a lot of character though, I think.

Julie Oakley said...

This is a delightful page. Makes me want to have hens, but with the trampoline, the boats, the bikes - not really enough room.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

What beaut little chooks you have drawn. Lovely shapes and those long tail feathers make them very interesting.
w.