Friday, December 04, 2009

De commissioned Church in Kelso


Well I dont quite know what else to call it as it is one of the many in the UK and I presume Scotland which have been sold as they are no longer economic, or there are too many churches in one place or perhaps they amalgamated, I dont know. I am not sure but I think this magnificent one, of which I sketched a pretty scrappy piece, is used for some sort of community thing.
What do you do with old churches? Not much fun to live in, cost the earth for upkeep and yet some are far too lovely to pull down.
I may not be on this blog much for the next week or so but I will keep up the other one, trying to find time to sketch or paint is not easy in the run up to Christmas, especially at the moment with the girls away and me having to do the feeds, of which there are an awful lot.
We had another foal this morning, thank goodness this one knew all about what he should be doing.
However my knee is being an absolute pain which is now transfering to my hip so I am being awfully slow.
The best thing is that I have had Gaby out with Mason helping me and although he is a very busy little boy he is also quite delightful.
I was also given a sofa bed I need another bed for when people come but this was rather larger than I thought it was and I have had to re organise the sun room so it can go in there, it did however make me do a thorough clean and tidy out which has been good.
A Haiku by Basho.
The oak tree stands
noble on the hill
even in
cherry blossom time.

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Might we get a photo of that new foal one day, Penny - I would love to see your horses.
Yes, the run up to Christmas is a busy one for us all - but there is something nice about it too isn't there?
Incidentally - we call them redundant churches here.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Yes, the run up to Christmas is getting to be exhausting. Chuck out that big sofa. Keep the place simple!
About the redundant churches - they sometimes make good cafes with nice high ceilings.
w.

Unknown said...

Hello Penny,

Thanks for visiting yesterday and for your kind words. I wish I could think which church in Kelso this might be. They have several there. I do think it's good if they are put to alternative use, such as restaurants. Peebles made a theatre out of theirs. Because of reducing congregations a group of churches in an area come under one minister who takes services in turn, which is better than losing them altogether.

I hope your knee and hip give you less discomfort soon.