Friday, July 07, 2006

Ibis


At this time of the year where ever I go on the farm I see these birds. The blacker one is called the straw necked Ibis, although why I am not quite sure, I thought it was because they had a bit of straw colour on their neck but I cant see it on any of ours. They are the most common at the moment and with them there is usually a couple of the white Ibis, some people think they are the sacred Ibis but that is an African variety and not ours.
Wherever we have wet and swampy land there they are, but sometimes they are in paddocks I dont expect to see them in. They are quite large birds and fly around making a mornful honking noise, they also fly in very ragged v shape formations.
I am not at all good at drawing birds so thought I needed some practice with these.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I think I have only seen the white ibis here. I find birds difficult too - not surprising, I suppose, as I've hardly ever drawn them - practise...I hope your pug turns up if he hasn't already

Julie Oakley said...

I like this, they look like ibis to me - but then what do I know.