Thursday, March 18, 2010

Towards Granite Island and the causeway.


I had to go in for a blood test this morning and that means early unless you intend to sit and wait for ever. No breakfast either but I decided to go for a walk along the beach below Hayborough.
It was a funny sort of morning, very black to the west and broken cloud to the south east.
The foliage of the plants on the dunes was an incredible orangy colour and Granite Island just sat in the distance like some sort of huge whale.
I walked the beach and as I noted in my sketchbook I walk rather slowly just thankful that my knee allows me to walk at all. I was enjoying the sea and the sounds but was passed by walkers wearing set expressions and dog walkers trying to keep up with their dogs.
Suddenly on my way back out of the sand hills emerged a group of what I assume were bird watchers as they were festooned with binoculars and cameras with what looked like meter long lenses! I am afraid they were out of luck as I hadnt seen any of the little plovers and I usually can see them if they are around.
Further on were three school groups some with home made boats they were going to try out in the River Hindmarsh which has nearly but not quite broken out to the sea and another group seemed to be building sand castles.
A lovely morning for a wander along the beach but not so good when I got home, it has been terribly humid and hot and not the best for trying to think, which for some reason neither John or I seemed capable of today.
He is trying to see if we are eligible for the pension but had to find some sort of documentation that said he lived here in this house for over 20 years, most of our correspondence goes to our box number! He did finally find an old insurance document dated 1959, the year we were married for household contents, with his name and the farm address on it. So stupid as the post office wants all documents to have the box number and wont deliver anything with the farm address on it.
Talk about turning old files upside down.
I have been looking for a few Haiku's on the net, not really sure I like the ones I have found but this one I think will do it is by Buson
The old man
cutting barley -
bent like a sickle.

2 comments:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hello Penny,
My walk is just downhill in the suburbs. It has been very warm and humid here for three or more days. About aged pensions and paperwork - the other day I got a list of things that must be reported - one was have I had a baby lately!
Wendy

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I'm enjoying your watercolour sketches and your print explorations! You had a much beter result with the meat tray technique than I did!