Friday, August 06, 2010

Thanks to Gina


On her blog here Gina Ferrari has started a small sketchbook tutorial which is fun, I have only tried two of what she is suggesting so far, and as it is winter here, I chose some leaves and gum blossom and a dried seed head to try out her suggestions.
The first was using a broken feather, no linguini in this house, we eat pasta orrecchio! Which is not much use for drawing with. Any way blots and all here is my seed head.
One of her other suggestions was to use watered down household bleach on a painted page which I did. I have never tried bleach on paper, only on fabric so this was another fun idea to do.
I am looking forward to the next exercise which looks really interesting but I need I think to do more pen drawings and cut out a view finder.
Still freezing cold here, almost to the bone chilling cold. I have every heater on in the house I can find.
I have been having fun with Voices 1 and here is another short poem this one written by Carl Sandburg which I find so evocative. It is called
FOG
The fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.


5 comments:

Gina said...

How lovely to see what you've been doing in your sketchbook Penny... and thank you for the mention. Looking forward to see where you take this.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Penny, your posts are so imaginative I am loving them... and your fog poem perfect... love the experiments too.. I so want to go and do some now .. can't wait till things slow down a bit here...
The sketchbook project looks so fun too... love those pages.. you are so creative!

Karin Bartimole said...

Hi Penny, What fun your two examples are. I really love the look of the bleach shadowing effect. Have you seen Seth's most recent posts, on his Altered Page blog, where he's shown a bleaching technique he just learned? Between the two of you, I'm ready to go get some bleach :)
the poem is simply wonderful! capturing fog in a moment... best to you this day - may it warm you through the chilled air. xox

Julie said...

What fun ideas! I will have to check them out!!! I love that Sandburg poem!

annie said...

Beautiful Sandburg poem, and I do love those lovely black lines that you got with that broken feather, Penny.
annie

I must look up Gina Ferrari. Thanks for the link.