Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sketchbook and garden


I havent had time to do much sketching lately, except for some sad and odd stuffed doll and animal and odd creature designs.
My computer has been so slow over the last couple of days, that I have taken to having a small sketchbook by the key board so I can at least do something.
I am into owls at the moment and I rather like this very worried looking one wondering if he should eat one of the caterpillars
climbing on his tree and if the scream was him or some one else.
I have therefor broken my sort of rule that this blog is for sketches and the other one for photos and other stuff and put up a photo I took of the gaura flowering madly in the front of the house. Wonderful stuff, I believe it hails from Texas but loves our hot dry summers although not too dry and mildly self seeds around, just where I want it.
Actually we have had a couple of cooler days and it was the loveliest walk along the beach this morning, rather later than we normally go so not many dog walkers and the sun was out, a light cool breeze and the tide was low. Days like this are glorious.
I will not be in Adelaide today but friends will visit Mummy instead.
I had a friend over yesterday and we tried to price what I had for the show in April. She made some good suggestions but it means I am making a few more bits and pieces.
I have just finished reading a very fascinating book called Remarkable Creatures by the same author of The Girl with the Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier, all about the woman who found fossils near Lyme Regis.
Today I am back with a Haiku by Buson.
Hazy morning:
as in a painting of a dream,
the people passing.

5 comments:

annie said...

What a fun owl, Penny. Our little server out in our Texas boonies gets overwhelmed and our wireless runs so slowly, at times, that I cannot get a news or You Tube video to run. I read somewhere that this is a coming problem for many hovering on the horizon. Have you heard that?

Love your flowers on your other blog, but would not like that 40 degrees C. That coverts to over 100 degrees F--right?

annie

Wanda..... said...

I have gaura in my garden too, Penny. They look like fluttering butterflies from a distance.

ArtPropelled said...

Very cute owl. I have a thing for owls too and the flowers which are so beautiful we call fairy bells. Mine have never self sewn. The heat is playing havoc with my work routine. Roll on Autumn!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I love owls.Such beautiful birds! Funny you shold post an owl, I just did too. I got a children's picture book 2nd hand the other day, I was going to cut it up but it's to beautiful! I photocopied the image instead.

It's good to see an artist's sketch's, a little peak into your world. Thanks for sharing:)

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Hi Penny, I'm glad you posted a photo of your flowering garden. I took photos of flowers in Marysville and didn't know the names of some of them. The Gaura in your photo is one of those flowers, so thanks to you I know know what it is. I love wild gardens they are just so right for rambling through.
Cheers.
Melbourne Daily Photo